On behalf of the Oatley Public School P&C Committee, I would like to welcome all of the new families joining the school community, as well as welcome back families returning from last year.
Below are a few hints from our family to navigate the school and get the most out of your time with the school (having been through 3 new starters in the past):
- All parents should download the “School Stream” app on your phones. This is the fastest and preferred channel of communication from the school administration to parents (principal, teachers, etc). Communication posted on the schools website is distributed through School Stream.
- Subscribe to the “Oatley Organiser” newsletter through the Oatley Public School website. This is a weekly email summary from the Principal (Sunday’s) and P&C (Thursdays).
- Download the “Flexishchools” app and add some credit. This app is used for ordering lunches for the canteen, purchasing uniform items through the uniform shop and purchasing tickets to events at the school, etc.
- Request to join the “Oatley P&C Noticeboard” Group on Facebook. This is used by OPS parents to seek information about the school, network with other parents and keep updated on P&C activities.
- Come down to the canteen after the 3:20pm bell on Friday afternoons in term 1 and term 4 to grab a $1 iceblock and chat with other parents. Kids love the extra time to play with friends and it is a great way to meet parents. All profits from the iceblocks assist the P&C with school improvement initiatives.
- Put your hand up to volunteer at the school throughout the year. This is a great way to meet other parents. The P&C and school administration hold a number of events throughout the year that rely on parent helpers to be a successful community event.
- The canteen is also always looking for helpers for a few hours from 8:30am on Monday to Thursday (it doesn’t matter if you can cook or not). The website has lots of information about the canteen here.
- Attend a P&C Meeting and participate in the discussion and direction of the P&C – these meetings are held in the school office building on the second Wednesday of each month at 7pm (not held during school holidays).
I hope these tips help navigate the start to the schooling year. If you have any questions or feedback for the P&C, or want to find out more, don’t hesitate to get in touch with me at email@example.com.
I hope all of your children settle into the year quickly, and you will see more communication from me in the coming weeks regarding the P&C plan for 2020.
Regards, Lachlan Derwent (OPS P&C President)